I have been fed up with all the rain we have been dealt so far this year. I understand this part of the country has been more or less in a drought status for several years and need the rainfall to recharge the aquifer. This excess amount of h2o has lead me to modify my swales, though. Instead of tilling, I drove rebar into the ground approximately 1.5 feet, pulled it back out, then filled the holes with sand. Tedious, I know! Some of my plants below the swales were starting to fade because they were sitting in standing water for extended periods. I dug them out, added gypsum and sand along with more organic matter to combat the dreaded red clay. Since the swales were not draining properly, I treated them as rainwater retention areas and created rain gardens on either side to act as a controlled overflow in the same manner as a pond would with a spillway. I figured that I must plan for the extreme rain events accordingly. Since we received a couple inches of rain in the past few days, I have not been able to work but will post pictures next week.